Serial port problem on a Amilo A laptop

Hi everybody

A friend has bought an Amilo A laptop, and we installed Knoppix on it.
Everything works fine except the modem (it is the conexant chipset and
he does not want to pay the license to linuxant.com). So he decided to
use an old serial modem. OK, we connected it, but the serial port seems
to be dead. dmesg shows the following:
ttyS00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
ttyS1: LSR safety check engaged!
ttyS1: LSR safety check engaged!
ttyS1: LSR safety check engaged!
ttyS1: LSR safety check engaged!
ttyS1: LSR safety check engaged!
ttyS1: LSR safety check engaged!

and setserial shows:
setserial -q ttyS0
ttyS0, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4

So, the serial port seems to be known to the kernel, but the modem does
not respond to AT-Commands (it does on my own laptop, so the modem is
ok). Any idea how to manage this?

Thanks
joerg

--
Why was Windows 95 renamed to Windows 98?
The gravity is 9.81 m/s²; it is impossible to crash faster on earth!