curses corrupt when TERM is "linux" - but only under X

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone knows what the issue is here.

Any curses (menuconfig, alsamixer, etc.) apps I run in an xterm
(xterm, aterm, konsole - they all do the same thing) work well if the
TERM variable is set to "xterm", but look partially corrupt if I set
TERM to "linux". Interestingly, if I hit Ctrl-Alt-F1 and get a real
console, curses apps work fine, even though TERM is set to "linux".
So for some reason ncurses doesn't like a TERM of "linux" when in an
x terminal window.

Is this a known problem? Is there any solution, given that for various
reasons I want to set my TERM to "linux"?

Thanks,
Christopher Martin