Configuring a non-root-user profile

Hi. I'm a newbie in debian, and almost everything that i used to do in Mandrake now doesn't work in debian. I understand i'm doing something in the wrong way. I need to configure in my account some extra entries in the PATH variable. I configure my .bash_profile and it looks like this:

PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin:$JAVA_HOME/bin:$ANT_HOME/bin:/usr/local/pgsql/bin:/usr/local/eclipse

but the only thing i get in bash is:

bash-2.05b$ echo $PATH
/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/games

which is the PATH configured in /etc/profile.
Identically, there are some enviroment variables defined in /etc/profile which i can't get from my user, I can get them only from root. Example:

(from my user)
bash-2.05b$ echo $JAVA_HOME

bash-2.05b$

(from root)
bash-2.05b$ su -
Password:
localhost:~# echo $JAVA_HOME
/usr/local/j2sdk1.4.2_03
localhost:~#

Can anyone please give a hand with this? I presume it should senseless...
Thank in advanced!