Re: linux bewbie lame question

hi.. many thanks for responding.

> Tendril,  welcome it looks like you were thrown to the wolves on this
> one, how did you get Debian on your Laptop?  Did you buy it
> preinstalled, or did you install it yourself?  Did any one give you a
> lesson on using Linux in general?
> We really need to know what exactly is installed on your machine, it
> might be that something is not configured, or installed right.  The
> more specific you are the better, that way we can get your problem
> solved

It was a christmas present from a friend (who understands linux) but he is
the type of person to make me find my own answers (which is for the best I
think).
As far as I know it had debian woody installed (by him).... I don't know how
to find out what kernal release it is. kde is 2.2.2 release is 2.2.20-idepci

> Most people here are avid readers and you will find that most people
> will respond by suggesting that you read the fine manual, or reading
> the Howto's about a specific subject.  I would suggest one of the fine
> books by O'Reilly such as Linux in a Nutshell, which should be at a
> local book store.

I will look it up.

.