Re: Exim3 --> Exim4

On (06/01/04 12:28), Stephen wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 05:21:54PM +0000 or thereabouts, Clive Menzies wrote:
> > On (06/01/04 11:22), Stephen wrote:
> > > Asked this earlier, I'll try again.
> > >
> > > Is there any gotchas, gimme's that I need to be aware of, upgrading
> > > stable to testing in terms of keeping a working Exim3 configuartion
> > > going?
> > FWIW I recently upgraded from woody to sid but did a total reinstall
> > (having backed up my mail spool and folders).  I tried Exim 3 and 4 and
> > postfix but settled on Exim4.  The major difference between 3 and 4
> > (from my limited perspective) is that instead of one exim.conf file
> > there are a series of conf files in directories within /etc/exim4/conf.d
> >
> > There are no longer Directors but only Routers and Transports which I
> > found a bit easier to understand.  There are also Access Control List
> > configurations.  I just bought the Exim4 book by Philip Hazel which is a
> > great introduction to SMTP mail processes and how Exim4 handles them.
> >
> > I haven't read much of the book yet and managed to get Exim4 working as
> > I need it on the basis of reading the docs and googling.
>
> Yes, I'm aware of the different configuration files, hence my question.
> I'm really looking for people whom have done the upgrade, not a fresh
> install.
I can't remember exactly in what sequence I did everything (I did a few
installs with different configurations).   However, at least one install
involved Exim4 being installed on top of a working Exim3 configuration.
It "worked straight out of the box" in terms of maintaining my former
exim.conf settings - I didn't investigate how the missing directors were
handled.

HTH

Clive

--