Re: spamassassin and bayes filter after sarge upgrade

On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 03:37:23PM +0800, Brian Walker wrote:
> Greetings all,
>
> my wonderfully smooth upgrade from woody to sarge last night is showing
> the first glitches. Spamassassin had been installed from source
> previously. The upgrade appeared fine, and indeed spam is being caught and
> marked.
>
> When I try to teach spamassassin based on "missed spam" I get the
> following error:
>
> brian@debian:~$ sa-learn --mbox --spam /home/brian/Mail/MissedSpam
> Cannot open bayes databases /home/brian/.spamassassin/bayes_*R/O: tie
> failed:
> Cannot open bayes databases /home/brian/.spamassassin/bayes_*R/O:
> tie failed: File exists
> Learned from 0 message(s) (10 message(s) examined).

IIRC, the perl version change effected a change of the BDB version being
used.  The bayes_seen and bayes_toks files should be BDB files and
should be able to be fixed by doing an db4.x_upgrade on them.

This is noted in the README.Debian for the SA packages in Debian:

   There is a issue with DB_File that causes old Bayes databases and
   automatic whitelists to no longer be read with perl5.8.

   From the perl 5.8 changelog:

      * NOTE: DB_File now uses libdb4.0 (previously libdb2). Any DB_File
        databases created with earlier perl packages will need to be
        upgraded before being used with the current module with the
        db4.0_upgrade program (in the libdb4.0-util package, with HTML
        docs in db4.0-doc).

   The fix is to delete your automatic whitelist and bayes dbs from
   ~/.spamassassin/, or use the db4.0_upgrade program as explained
   above.

--
Jamin W. Collins