Re: wireless setup

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jan Minar" <Jan.Minar@seznam.cz>
To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Monday, January 05, 2004 1:19 PM
Subject: Re: wireless setup

>On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 12:12:46PM +0100, Benedict Verheyen wrote:
>> Any comments on this setup?
>
>Just one general one: network with wires where you can, employ wireless
>only when you must.  If your business depends on the networking, go for
>the licensed bands (i.e. not 2.4 / 5 GHz).  Use wireless only where you
>can clearly benefit from the coverage, mobility, lower link-setup cost,
>generally areas where it is impossible or impractical to use Ethernet &
>friends.  Backup with wires when possible, nevertheless.  Wireless
>technology isn't really suited to replace existing wired networks, but
>rather to complement them.
>
>The wired networks are more widely deployed, for a longer time, i.e.
>more tested & generally cheaper.  It's easier to avoid interferences,
>including DoS attacks.  E.g. 802.11g is orders-of magnitude slower than
>the 100Mbps switched Ethernet, especially where the bands get crowded
>(many networks/clients in the same area attempting to talk at the same
>time).  Not only the raw speed is lower, but the latency is greater,
and
>the packet-loss is significant--something at least pre-2.6 TCP/IP stack
>will not be happy about.
>
>And just as a matter of fact, D-Link is a crap.

What products do you suggest then? I checked netgear and they seem to
have properly supported hardware for linux. I check change the D-Link
stuff to:
WGR614 Cable/DSL Wireless Router 54 Mbps/2.4 GHz
WGE101 54 Mbps Wireless Ethernet Bridge
WG311 54 Mbps Wireless PCI Adapter

I have 2 questions though:
1. As stated in the original message, can i connect a bridge with
another
bridge? (1 bridge on cable modem, 1 on eth0 of server)

2. To manage both the bridge and router, the OS is not important since
it can all be run from a browser?

Regards,
Benedict