Re: fetchmail: lock creation failed

Jan Minar wrote:

On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 09:41:55AM -0500, Thomas H. George wrote:
With no fetchmail to feed mail to mutt and so no threading I have lost the thread and must re-post.

If you want to read the thread, look among the headers of any mail on
this list, for `List-Archive:'.

As advised I re-copied /oldhome/tom to /home/tom with tar. This did not solve the problem.

It wasn't supposed to, really.

There is no .fetchmail.pid file in /oldhome/tom or anywhere else.

Ooops.  I thought ~/.fetchmail.pid was _the_ lockfile.  Did you mean
running fetchmail as user tom, or a sitewide fetchmail started at
bootup?  Or a fetchmail run by another user maybe?
When it was working I alway ran it as user  tom from my home directory.

I tried dpkg -- purge fetchmail followed by apt-get -f install fetchmail. This did not solve the problem.

Should be ``dpkg --purge'' (without the space after `--').

The space was a typo in the email, I did the purge correctly.

Any more suggestions?

Yes: strace(1).  Look especially for the open(), and anything from the
stat() family (man 2 stat).

Final two lines of strace fetchmail run from /home/tom:

open("/home/tom/.fetchmail.pid", O_WRONLY|O_CREAT|O_EXCL|O_SYNC, 0666) = -1 EACCESS (Permission Denied)
   write (2, "fetchmail: lock creation failed. ..., 33)  = 33

I tried creating a file .fetchmail.pid with chown tom and chmod 666. This gave the same result with (File Exists) instead of (Permission Denied).

I also found and read /usr/share/doc/fetchmail/README.Debian.gz which notes the program wont run if there is no /etc/fetchmailrc file. I copied /usr/share/doc/fetchmail/examples/fetchmailrc.exampe to /etc/fetchmailrc and edited the last lines to read

   poll mail.spininternet.com with protocol pop3
      user 'xyz' there with password * is 'tom' here

and changed the file to be chmod 0600, chown fetchmail. This is apparently not enough as /etc/init.d/fetchmail debug-run does nothing so /etc/init.d/fetchmail debug-run strace -o /tmp/strace.out as suggested in README.Debian.gz produces no output. However, strace -o /tmp/strace.out fetchmail run from /home/tom works/

There is clearly a mis-connect somewhere. whereis fetchmail reports one /usr/bin/fetchmail and the man file.

Does any of this provide a clue as to what is going on?

Tom

HTH.