Re: ifconfig eth0 shows errors building

On Monday 05 January 2004 12:26 pm, mike wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When I run ifconfig eth0, my "errors" section keeps growing.
> Here's an example output from # ifconfig eth0
>
> UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>           RX packets:1334682 *****errors:65273  *****dropped:0 overruns:1
> frame:78897
>           TX packets:640316 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:23
>           collisions:1729
>           RX bytes:678692267 (647.2 MiB)  TX bytes:144369628 (137.6 MiB)

You probably have a bad cable or a crappy switch or a cable run that's beyond
the ethernet spec or ... [insert your favorite physical layer problem here].

You have carrier errors there (23 of them) that show the NIC couldn't even
connect to the Ethernet bus 23 times, and the other errors are frame errors,
showing that low level layer frames are getting corrupted.  Collisions
shouldn't be there if you're plugged into a 100Mb/s full-duplex switch.  If
you're on a slower network or non-full duplex network make sure your card is
using/autonegotiating the correct settings.  mii-tool.

--
Nate Duehr, nate@natetech.com