Kernel Patching: Updating the debian/changelog

My notes are not perfect, but I believe on one machine that's running
2.4.23 the kernel was built from kernel.org sources but make-kpkg was
used to build the kernel.

I just downloaded and patched the 2.4.23 source tree with the 2.4.24
patch.  Then I ran

    fakeroot make-kpkg --revision=custom.1.0 kernel_image

and the build went ok except for:

  The changelog says we are creating 2.4.23-xfs-3ware, but I thought the
  version is 2.4.24-xfs-3ware

I'm a bit confused about how the debian/changelog got there -- does
make-kpkg add it when building form kernel.org sources?

I have notes of hand-editing the changelog before, but I can't see to
get the format correct.  I know there's a tool to update the changelog,
but can't remember what that is.

Anyway, the question is: how do I patch the kernel and correctly update
the debian/changelog so make-kpkg doesn't puke.

--
Bill Moseley
moseley@hank.org