Re: mouse-2 and S-ins use different copy buffers

On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 08:36:58AM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 02:56:25AM +0200, Micha Feigin wrote:
> > It seems that in certain instances mouse-2 and Shift-Insert paste
> > different things.
>
> That doesn't surprise me. The second mouse button pastes X's primary cut
> buffer. Shift-Insert does something arbitrary depending on the
> application ...

This is true, although pretty much all Gtk/Gnome and KDE applications,
plus many others (e.g., xemacs) have standardized on using the CLIPBOARD
selection that they use for copy/paste (i.e., ctl-c/ctl-v), so it's no
longer arbitrary, except for old applications. As far as that goes, what
is inserted with mouse-2 is also arbitrary, although most applications
have also stardardized on mouse-2 pasting the PRIMARY selection.

The reason that the two sometimes paste the same thing is probably
because the PRIMARY selection and the CLIPBOARD are still the same
(i.e., nothing new has been selected since the last time CLIPBOARD was
updated).

--
Dave Carrigan
Seattle, WA, USA