Cursor problems

I put this on the debian-laptop list  but got no response. Have tried the
Debian support pages but found no help there.  I was advised to try this
list by Tapio Lehtonen.

What:
SONY VAIO F490
650Mhz Intel, 18GB HDD
Debian 3.0 rev2 "woody", new install

Problem:
Can't get arrow shaped cursor in GUI or block in console.
Cursor is a three quarter inch square of vertical lines or hash in both GUI
and in console. . Top left corner of square is the point which works but is
very hard on the eyes. "gpm" is installed

Square cursor in KDE and GNOME and Konqueror and all GUI stuff.
Same kind of cursor on the console
The GUI desktop peripheral setup is of no help
Computer has built in mouse and I use an external PS/2 mouse. Either/or both
work identically bad!!
Don't think it is a hardware problem.
Have not had this problem with RH 9 or Mandrake 9.0

Question:
How to set up mouse with small arrow cursor on either/or both mice??
How get "gpmconfig" if necessary? Searched, not found!
How to get the standard block cursor on the console?

--
RCT
W3SR