Re: apm powershutown not working in 2.4.20-bf2.4

On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 11:02:39AM +0000, J.S.Sahambi wrote:
> I just installed the Debian unstable on a P-IV. To power off the system

You probably want to use ACPI.  Odds are, depending on the manufacturer
of your hardware, that the APM support is broken, if present at all.
E.g. my Dell Latitude powers off spontaneously (sic!) in any suspend
state except Suspend to Disk (apm -s, apm -S), if running for more than
~2 days before the suspend.  No big deal with Windows 95.  Go figure.

> when I give it a shutdown we have to load the apm module with option
> "power_off=1". So I give the following command:
>
> debain:~# modprobe apm power_off=1

poweroff(8) powers off for me while modprobing the apm.o without any
parameters...??

> /lib/modules/2.4.20-bf2.4/kernel/arch/i386/kernel/apm.o: init_module: No
> such device

Not present or broken APM support on the side of your hardware can be
the issue.  Note also, that ACPI and APM cannot coexist simultaneously.
Do you have ACPI enabled?

> Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters,
> including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
>       You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg

Yes, dmesg(8) is your friend.  Go and peruse it.

Cheers,
Jan.

--
Jan Minar                   "Please don't CC me, I'm subscribed." x 7