Re: chroot for packaging

On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 02:17:19AM -0500, linux@austrialpinusa.com wrote:
[snip]

> This is exactly I wanted to avoid. Since I am writing this from a windows
> machine, why my debian machine is dead, I have to google I guess. I am trying to
> increase my knowledge.

Oh.  I don't know a lot, maybe somebody can else can help more.
Here's a bit of the printout of those commands:

desk:~# chroot --help; apt-cache show debootstrap; apt-cache show
rootstrap
Usage: chroot NEWROOT [COMMAND...]
  or:  chroot OPTION
Run COMMAND with root directory set to NEWROOT.

[snip]
 debootstrap is used to create a Debian base system from scratch,
 without requiring the availability of dpkg or apt. It does this by
 downloading .deb files from a mirror site, and carefully unpacking them
 into a directory which can eventually be chrooted into.

[snip/rootstrap]
 Rootstrap was originally written to provide a facility for building
 filesystems for use with User-mode Linux, but can be useful in other
 applications as well.
 .
 It uses a modular set of shell scripts to create the filesystem
 image, install a base system, and customize it for a particular
 application.  Currently, it only builds Debian systems, but the
 architecture is such that other base systems could be used instead.
 .
 Use of rootstrap does not require root access, or special privileges
 of any kind.  This is because it builds the filesystem inside a
 User-mode Linux system running under an
 unprivileged uid.
 .
 Filesystem creation with rootstrap is quick and painless.  With a
 local mirror and a single command, a fresh Debian woody filesystem
 can be created in about 3 minutes on relatively modest hardware.