Re: Locale 'C' gone?

On Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 11:03:58PM -0700, s. keeling wrote:
> Incoming from Kevin Mark:
> >
> > sometime over the past year my locales got zapped. Somehow 'C' is
> > gone.
>
> I'm not sure that's possible.  However:
>
>   - type "locale"
I did and here is it:
debian:~# id
uid=0(root) gid=0(root) groups=0(root)
debian:~# locale
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=
debian:~#

> > I now have en_US. Some of the script give me warnings but they work.
> > But, I'd like to get 'C' and 'POSIX' back. I've tried
> > 'dpkg-reconfigure locales'
> > a few times after various upgrades. Any ideas?
>
> If "locale -a | less" shows C and POSIX, you should be able to (as
> root) "locale-gen"

debian:~# locale -a
en_US
en_US.iso88591
en_US.iso885915
en_US.utf8
POSIX
debian:~# locale-gen
Generating locales...
en_US.ISO-8859-1... done
en_US.ISO-8859-15... done
en_US.UTF-8... done
Generation complete.
debian:~#

> Look in root's startup shell scripts (surely, you didn't change them
> from bash?).  ~root/.bash_profile (or maybe ~root/.profile) and
> ~root/.bashrc may have things like:
>
>   LC_ALL="en_US.ISO-8859-1"
>   LANG="en_US.ISO-8859-1"
>   LANGUAGE="en_US.ISO-8859-1"
>
> in them.  Comment those out.  If that was the problem, logging out
> then back in should fix it.  If not, check /etc/profile
No such thing. nothing like that in .bashrc,.profile,etc.

I did a dpkg-reconfigure locales and it said nothing about C or POSIX.

Is it there and I dont know it? How can I set it?
-Kevin