Re: adding new hard disk

Hi Anita,

* Anita Rohani <anitahussain@yahoo.com> [2004-01-04 23:30]:
> Hi
>
> A few hard disk partitions on our current Debian
> system are close to becoming full. I would like to
> install an addtional hard disk and extend the
> partitions on the current disk to the new disk. Is it
> possible to do so and are there any instructions
> avaliable on how to add and configure additional hard
> disks on Debian?

I do not think you can actually extend the existing partitions - that is
make them span the old and the new disks.  However. you can install the
new disk, use fdisk to create partitons on it and then move the data
from some of the existing partitions to the new disk.  Then you can
mount the new partitons.

This way you could, for instance, create a larger /home or /var or /usr
etc. on the new disk to replace the partitons on the old disk.  Once
this is done, you could delete the old partions and use a tool such as
parted or QTparted to resize the partitions on the old disk and make
them larger also.

HTH

Lou