Re: exim problem - SMTP error from remote mailer after AUTH PLAIN

| > What exactly does error "334 VXNlcm5hbWU6" mean?

The 334 is the response code from the server.  The data after it is
base64 encoded and decodes to "Username:".

On Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 09:03:21PM -0500, Jerome R. Acks wrote:
| Solved. I had to change entries in /etc/email-addresses from
| userid@bellatlantic.net to userid@verizon.net.

Aha.  I guess when the server didn't like the username/passwd pair you
sent it decided to switch from AUTH PLAIN to AUTH LOGIN.  However,
exim wasn't expecting an "interactive" prompt for the username and
password, so it stopped processing right then.  (BTW, AUTH LOGIN is
not actually defined in any standard)

| Mozilla mail can still send emails using
| userid@bellatlantic.net. Mozilla Thunderbird cannot and needs to use
| userid@verizon.net like exim. What is the difference between the way
| mozilla mail does SMTP authentication and mozilla-thunderbird or exim?

I don't know, use ethereal to see what is actually being sent across
the wire.  Different server, perhaps?

-D

--
"He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."
    --Jim Elliot