Kernel 2.6.0 Cannot Mount Root FS

Hi,

I just installed Sarge and made a new Kernel (2.6.0) for it. However,
the new Kernel cannot find the root file system:

- - - Schnipp - - -
VFS: Cannot open root device "2246" or hdh6
Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on hdh6
- - - Schnapp - - -

I have no trouble booting Sarge's stock kernel (2.4.22-bf2.4). The
rescue function of Sarge's DVD also works fine.

I use an Abit KT7A-RAID, both disks are connected to the HPT-370 RAID
controller. Grub is installed on the first disk, Sarge is on the
second disk. All disks use ext3fs.

The new kernel has the following options (all non-modular):
- - - Schnipp - - -
IDE
BLK_DEV_IDE
BLK_DEV_IDEDISK
BLK_DEV_IDEPCI
BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_PCI
BLK_DEV_HPT366
BLK_DEV_VIA82CXXX

EXT2_FS
EXT3_FS
- - - Schnapp - - -

What could be the problem here? What should be my next steps to find
the cause of this trouble?

Thanks in advance,

Thorsten
--