Re: .bashrc .bash_profile - created from?

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 08:17:26 -0500, Russ Schneider wrote:

> I have changed the files /etc/bash.bashrc and /etc/profile to my liking.
>
> Problem is, when I create new users, the files .bashrc and .bash_profile
> are created in their home directory and they are created with elements
> that supercede those two previous files.
>
> What generates .bashrc and .bash_profile for each new user?  Is it
> something I can alter so it writes them the way I want them?

The files are copied from /etc/skel

ls -a /etc/skel # to see them

Info which you may need:

man adduser
man bash (INVOCATION section)

Please also note that /etc/bash.bashrc is not automatically executed. You
need to source it in one of the startup scripts if you want it used.

--

Programming without a hex editor is like watchmaking without a hammer.