OT: bash scripting question -- passing values to ls

hey folks,

here's something that ocmes up a lot for me:

I use locate to find a bunch of files:

% locate charter | grep -i font
/usr/share/texmf/fonts/afm/bitstrea/charter
/usr/share/texmf/fonts/tfm/bitstrea/charter
/usr/share/texmf/fonts/type1/bitstrea/charter
/usr/share/texmf/fonts/vf/bitstrea/charter

then I want to ls -l each of these files...

so I have to do it by hand at the moment.  But shouldn't I be able to
automate it with somthing like:

ls < locate charter | grep -i font
?
nothing I try works -- but I can't believe  it's impossible!  any
hints?

thx,
matt