Re: cfdisk vs fdisk & speaking of Western Digital drives...

On Sat, Jan 03, 2004 at 04:52:06PM -0500, Andy Firman wrote:
> First, what is the difference between fdisk and cfdisk,
> other cfdisk being curses based?

They shall all partition your disk well.  Just use the one that suits
the task.--There are no secret cheats in Debian, see?-)

> Do the physical drives and partitions have to be EXACTLY the
> same for RAID 1 to work properly or will the following
> layouts of my drives be sufficient?

Briefly: no:  Linux kernel software RAID won't mess with the disk's
internals.

<snip />
>                            Disk Drive: /dev/hda
>                           Size: 40000000000 bytes
>            Heads: 255   Sectors per Track: 63   Cylinders: 4863
<snip />
>                            Disk Drive: /dev/hdd
>                           Size: 40020664320 bytes
>            Heads: 16   Sectors per Track: 63   Cylinders: 77545
<snip />

You can see you have two completely different disks.  You might use
hdparm(8) to see what the disk report themselves to be, really.

Cheers,
Jan.

--
Jan Minar                   "Please don't CC me, I'm subscribed." x 7