install trouble - solution

OK, I was gonna ask for some help with this, but as I
was finishing up the list of symptoms, I figured out
the problem.  So I thought I'd post this in case
someone else has trouble...

I have a HPT372 RAID, which requires a 2.4.21 kernel
or later.  Debian 3.0r2 doesn't have one more recent
than 2.4.18, so I had to boot with my own kernel.  I
happened to have two different ones, one from
Mandrake, and another from a realtime variant of
Morphix.

I used loadlin and the bf24 initrd.
Problem: recognizes hard disk, but freezes as soon as
you try to write to it.
Other symptoms: the install starts differently for
some reason - rather than select the language, it
starts where you choose your keyboard.

Reason for problem: I was using 2.4.21-013mdk, which
has HPT372 support in a module.  I had forgotten that
the module was required!  Once I realized that,
2.4.21-ADEOS - with hpt support built in - worked
fine.  Duh!

-------------
Also... The version of loadlin in the cd image is
outdated - it won't boot the included bf24, even!  It
needs to be replaced with v 1.6 *c* - this adds
support for larger kernels, I believe.  With the old
one, you just get an error about an invalid kernal
image.  Loadlin 1.6c is required for kernel >1M
compressed (possible starting with 2.4.5).

I assume that someone is already aware of the
problem...?

Thanks
Mark