Re: Dug myself into several deep holes

On Friday 02 January 2004 11:06 am, Nano Nano wrote:

> I've got all my dotfiles saved, so after I wipe, I have to do *zero*
> customization.  In other contexts I would make other decisions.

Not trying to be argumentative here, just an observation...

Isn't it the configuration files where the mistakes are usually made?  If
you're restoring those, you're restoring the mistakes perhaps?

I agree, I like a freshly loaded machine too, but there's a lesson to be
learned in teaching oneself how to back out of major mistakes -- especially
if one wants to do system administration for a living.  I have been doing
professional system admin for years, so I guess that's the path I tend to
take is learning how to recover gracefully from mistakes with as little
downtime as possible.  Config files get copied to new names before all
changes, etc...

It's all fun, no matter how you slice it.  If it's not fun, definitely time to
do something else with one's precious time in life.  :-)

All the best,
--
Nate Duehr, nate@natetech.com