Alsa sound lost on kernel upgrade

Debian Sid

My kernel automatically upgraded it self from 2.4.22-1-k7 to 2.4.23-1-k7.  I
had to recompile my nvidia driver - which caused problems in itself, but I
have now lost sound

After some digging, I realised that the alsa modules are not getting loaded,
because they came in an alsa-modules-2.4.22-1-k7 but there is no package alsa
modules for the 2.4.23 kernel.

At the moment, the packages site is down, which was my route through to
finding out whether they were going to appear anytime soon.

Anyone got any alternative source of information?
--
Alan Chandler
alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk