Re: Dug myself into several deep holes

On Fri, Jan 02, 2004 at 11:54:25AM -0500, Sam Rosenfeld wrote:
> The question is:  Given my current state, is it reasonable to try to
> fix each of my problems separately, or would it be more sensible to
> keep only the critical data and start over with a new installation?

When I was learning last spring, I reinstalled my computer 5 or 6 times
*per day*, trying stuff in Debian, trying Knoppix, Mandrake, Redhat,
&c., to see how "they did it."

Eventually I figured it out: but I solved each issue one a time, and it
was like pulling teeth.  Basically I would read online and learn
"partial information" until I'd tried every "bad" permutation and
finally learned the right one.

Now I have my install scripted: boot from Woody, install, upgrade to SID
from local partial mirror, run scripts.  I wipe the disk or reinstall
when anything gets the least bit squirrelly, which can be as little as
one day or as much as every couple months.

Works for me.