Configuration of Herbert Xu's kernel-image-2.6

Hi,

having never used precompiled kernels before, I'm a bit surprised to
find these enabled in Herbert Xu's 2.6 kernel image (section General
Setup):

CONFIG_EMBEDDED=y
CONFIG_KALLSYMS=y
CONFIG_FUTEX=y
CONFIG_EPOLL=y
# CONFIG_OPTIMISE_SIZE is not set
CONFIG_IOSCHED_NOOP=y
CONFIG_IOSCHED_AS=y
CONFIG_IOSCHED_DEADLINE=y

The help text says, e.g.
"CONFIG_EMBEDDED:                                                                                                                                      This option allows certain base kernel features to be removed from
the build.  This is for specialized environments which can tolerate a
"non-standard" kernel. Only use this if you really know what you are
doing."

There are other similarly not reassuring help texts for the other
options that make me doubt I want this on my desktop machine. I haven't
found anything relevant on google, lkml, or kerneltrap, but before
wasting Herbert's time I'd  like to ask for enlightenment on this

regards, Mario