Re: Debian Software Raid FAQ

On Thu, 1 Jan 2004 19:55:25 -0700 (MST),
"Lucas Albers" <albersl@cs.montana.edu> wrote in message
<33227.216.166.133.165.1073012125.squirrel@www.cs.montana.edu>:

> I finally finished my software raid FAQ for converting an existing
> system to a one using software raid as it's root partition.
> http://www.cs.montana.edu/faq/faqw.admin.py?query=Convert+Root+System+to+Software+Raid&querytype=simple&casefold=yes&req=search
>
> It took me a few weeks of research and trial and error, before I
> worked all the invididual steps out.
> I think I hosed my test system at least 10 times trying to learn how
> to do this....
>
> Thanks for information provided by friendly people on the list.
> I've used it, and it works.
> Please let me know if you find any errors or wish to make some
> corrections to it.

..boooo: "By convention, /dev/hda1 is my root partition; /dev/hdb1 will
be the new raid volume.", to make an useful raid set, you want one disk
per controller, in your case, /dev/hda and /dev/hdc, not /dev/hdb, which
kills performance "jamming traffic" on /dev/ide0.

> It appears you could actually use initrd with software raid, but I was
> unable to do so. Perhaps in my next version I will include directins
> for doing so.

..I've only done this successfully with RH9, it used both Grub and
initrd, I made everything (/boot too) raid1 except /tmp (raid0), and
put 1G of swap on both disks, both with pri=1 in /etc/fstab.

> I would like to include this documentation in the debian.org
> documentation, what are the steps to do so?

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: