Re: opinion: compare various imap servers

I looked into this a few months ago and went with cyrus.  The author
of courier claims the IMAP spec is non-sensical, so I didn't really
feel like trusting his implementation of it--though many people report
good experiences.  The University of Washington has one too; I can't
recall why I didn't go with it.  I think the fact that other exim
users reported good experiences was a factor.

cyrus has worked fine for me, though installation was a bit complex
(the docs have since improved).  But I have a very small system.  If
you do choose cyrus, be aware that your mail will be locked in a
database and accessible only through the IMAP server.  Other programs
use a more generic format.