Re: Web server Partitions - me

Alvin Oga said:

>> I've decided to start making my raid
>> syncs into smaller sizes, so they can resync back faster.
>
> the size of the "raid" has NOTHING to do with "resync" faster in general
>
> the number of files and data that have to be sync between the
> degraded raid and the newly inserted disk does make a difference
> 	- faster oyu notice a dead/dying raid disk and replace
> 	it implies that there is less time wasted in degraded raid mode
> 	and minimizes data loss if another disk dies

I did not know that.
What I meant, was if it is a partition size the resync will occur faster
then if it is a giant partition size.
I think I'm just going to put spare backup disk in the system.
>> I've found that some volumes just break sync,
>
> huh ?? curious .. what and how ??
I have a raid 5 partiton hde,hdf,hdg,hdh.
And sometimes hde gets confused and I have to raidhotadd then raidhotadd.
Happens every couple of weeks, always the same partition that decides to
go on vacation from the raid set.

> sync is always required for nfs or raid or whatever ther apps that like
> to have "sync" specified

was not referring to sync mount option.
> for clarification, i did NOT mention to use raid0 for temp ( /tmp )
> 	- there is also zero point in making /tmp raid0
> 	unless one is doing say some huge GB-sized app that requires
> 	lots of GB-sized temp data in /tmp

No I thought about doing it.

> - in general, i do not recommend raid0 ( stripping ), unless you want:
> 	- makes a bunch of smaller disks look like one  bigger disk
> 	- allows you to read data 2x faster if you "mirror it"
> 		( raid0 across  md0 and md1
> 		( where both mdo0 and md1 is a mirror of md0 )

Good information, to much effort to stripe and mirror, I'll just stay with
raid1 or raid5.

> - differences in raid
> 	http://www.1U-Raid5.net/Differences
>
> imho ...  a properly partitioned and installed linux, for my
> reasons/purposes is:
> 	/	256MB
> 	/tmp	256MB
> 	/var	512MB
> 	/usr	4096MB
> 	swap	512MB
> 	/opt	rest of disk ( aka /home )

this is what I have used;
> 	/	1G
        /boot   100M
> 	swap	512MB
> 	/opt	rest of disk ( aka /home )

Should make seperate /tmp /var partitions on my webserver, thanks for
reminding me.

Good information on disk sizes, setting up new webserver now that I go
raid working, decided to go with reiser, now I have some ideas for
partitions.

> 	-- if you need more disk space for whatever, than move that
> 	directory to "user area" ( /home ) and keep the system clean so
> 	you can fix or restore the system whenver needed in a few minutes
I use systemimager to rsync upgrades/downloads remotelly in a few minutes.
I can do a remote os upgrade download,backup. Works great.

> other partiton schmes
> 	http://www.Linux-1U.net/Partitions
Will take a look at it, too much info...my belly is full.

>> Have you noticed any syn speed difference with differnt kernels?
>
> nope ... havent tested for it either

Anecdotally I noticed that optimized an athlon or similar 2.4.22 kernels
on my systems get 14meg, and stock kernels get slower on syncs.
But have not scientifically tested it.
It appears, in my completelly unsubstantiated opinion....that raid works
much faster in later kernels.

--
--Luke CS Sysadmin, Montana State University-Bozeman