Re: yet another NVIDIA problem (4496)

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 11, 2003 at 11:52:32AM +0200, Haim Ashkenazi wrote:
> > I originaly thought about bying radeon (9500, or 9700) but when I've
> > searched the mailing list I saw there were a lot of problems with the ATI
> > drivers too, so I've decided to stick with nvidia (known evil against new
> > evil...)
>
> Well, known evil is easy to fix and does.  ATI drivers are pretty
> solid.  nvidia drivers are closed and buggy, so while it's known evil,
> it's not something we can do anything about but boycott.

The new Radeons have full 3D and XVideo hardware accel in an open driver?  I
was under the impression that to get anything but 2D you would need the
closed ATI drivers (which are not officially supported by ATI either last
time I checked...).

If there ARE open-source ATI drivers for, e.g. Radeon 9500 and beyond, which
let me access the full capabilities of the card, I am junking all nVidia
stuff I have right now! :-)

  Henrique Holschuh