Re: [OT] voting (was: Slashdot and media accuracy (was Re: Improved Debian Project Emergency Communications))

On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 04:05:36 +0000, ben_foley wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 07, 2003 at 11:23:31AM -0800, Tom wrote:

> david attenborough is one of the few honest humans on the planet. anyone
> who tries to tell you that he's full of shit is missing the point of
> being here, to begin with. the elegance of his explanation for why he
> doesn't believe in god is worth all the trouble it takes to find it. i
> haven't seen the show with the octupii but if he was involved, it must
> have been good.
>
> ben

David Attenborough is an interesting and thoughtful man.

Having said that, when I see a watch, it convinces me of the existence of
the watchmaker (Voltaire?).  There are many watches in the universe, but
the one, for me, most obviously the product of design is the encoding,
decoding and replication of DNA.  An elegant solution to the combined
problems of reproduction and adaptability to a changing environment, with
opportunities for experimentation thrown in.  I know the work of a
brilliant engineer when I see it.

This is, of course, simply a personal view.

--

"Don't be so humble.  You're not that great."
(Golda Meir)