Re: problems installing java

tripolar(tripolar@comcast.net) is reported to have said:
> well back in town and trying to install java on mothers pc so she can
> goto websites with java.
> I first upgraded her system to sid ( because that is what mine is)
> then added a site from apt-get.org for j2re1.4
> did apt-get install j2re1.4
> then this-
> Setting up j2re1.4 (1.4.0.99beta-1) ...
> update-alternatives: unable to make
> /usr/lib/mozilla-cvs/plugins/javaplugin_oji.so.dpkg-tmp a symlink to
> /etc/a            lternatives/javaplugin_oji-mozilla-cvs.so: No such
> file or directory
> dpkg: error processing j2re1.4 (--configure):
>  subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 2
>  j2re1.4
>
> any ideas?

I don't have /usr/lib/mozilla-cvs/plugins/ either but...

As I am running Openoffice, I wanted to install Java but the debian
version, 1.4.0.99beta-1, didn't work.  I downloaded
j2re-1_4_2-linux-i586.bin from the sun site and -it- did work in
Openoffice.  When I told Firebird where javaplugin_oji.so was, it also
worked.

:-) HTH, YMMV, HAND :-)

Wayne
--
No matter how much data you add to your laptop, it will not get
heavier.