is symlink "linu" necessary while compiling new kernel?

Hi,

While doing a google search to read pages on who to compile a new Linux kernel the Debian way, I see some of them mentioning that I should first delete a symlink "linux" in /usr/src if it exists before I untar and unzip a download kernel file, and then recreate it. Some pages do not suggest this. Is this a step crucial?

I have a file:

--
(Remove all underscores,_if any_, from my email address to get the correct one. Apologies for the inconvenience, but this is to reduce spam.)
{src}> ls -1

and I have extracted kernel-source-2.4.22.tar.bz2 and renamed the resulting directory to kernel-source-2.4.22-hs1. Then I enter this directory and continue the process of compiling the kernel (make-pgk clean, then menuconfig, then make step). I don't have the linux link. Will this be a problem?

Thanks,
->HS