Re: 2.6 kernel: module cannot be unloaded

Thanasis Kinias wrote:
scripsit Roberto Sanchez:

They are unsafe to unload because it is possible that unloading them
could cause very serious problems.  To unload those, you must have
enabled CONFIG_MODULE_FORCE_UNLOAD (for Forced Module Unloading):

OK, now I'm confused.  Why, then, would the kernel be attempting to load
_and_ unload these drivers during boot?  I only noticed this because I
got the warnings that the kernel had attempted to unload them and failed
during boot.

I can't figure out what is causing piix or ide_probe_mod to be loaded in
the first place, either.  'grep -r piix /etc/*' returns nothing...

I'm not sure.  Do you have discover or kudzu installed (both are
hardware autodetectors that may try loading/unloading modules to
figure out what you have.  Just a thought.

-Roberto