Re: passwordless ssh-login

* Joerg Johannes (liste_joerg@gmx.de) [031203 08:08]:
> Am Di, den 02.12.2003 schrieb Joerg Johannes um 09:25:
> > I am starting Debian X environment using gdm, but after logging in, I
> > can't find ssh-agent in ps -ae. Only see it after starting it by hand.

How are you starting it?  The best way to do this is to start your x
session "under" ssh-agent; for example, the default debian Xsession
scripts on my machine have me running "/usr/bin/ssh-agent
x-window-manager".  Do you have a local ~/.Xsession?  If not, you should
try to figure out why the system-wide one on your system is not running
ssh-agent (check /etc/X11/Xsession.options for a line that says
'use-ssh-agent').  If so, it's probably just a matter of invoking
ssh-agent properly in your X session.

> > jorg@notebook-johannes:~$ ssh-add
> > Could not open a connection to your authentication agent.
> > jorg@notebook-johannes:~$ ps -ae
> > <snip>
> >  1172 ?        00:00:00 ssh-agent
> > <snip>
> >
> > And now?

Again, how did you run ssh-agent?  Try something like this:

ssh-agent x-terminal-emulator

and then try ssh-add from the new terminal window that pops up.  There
it should work.  The reason is that ssh-agent sets up environment
variables that all of its child processes inherit.  If you're trying to
use it in some process that doesn't have those variables set up, it's
just not going to work.

> > > You still have to enter the passphrase initially for each key, but
> > > then after which you don't.
> >
> > I dont't get that far... :(
>
> Maybe related to that: I have tried setting up passwordless login to
> another machine using the steps mentioned in the micro-howto: Succeeded.
> I don't have to enter my password any more. Even worse: I have to enter
> my passPHRASE for the key... Aaargh. Is this because ssh-agent doesn't
> listen to me?

Yes, I'd say that this is better, not worse.  You've gotten key-based
authentication working; now it's just a matter of setting up your agent
properly.  (BTW, in the meantime (until you've gotten your ssh-agent set
up properly) if you don't want to type a passphrase, you should be able
to just hit enter and then be prompted for a password instead).

good times,
Vineet
--
http://www.doorstop.net/