Re: [OT] Slashdot and media accuracy (was Re: Improved Debian Project Emergency Communications)

On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 10:36:48PM -0800, Paul Johnson wrote:

> CNN isn't horribly credible to me since AOL bought them out.  Now the
> only real difference between CNN and FNC is CNN is for the merely
> stupid, whereas Fox News is for the criminally stupid.

Well, I don't agree with either part of that, but I don't believe the
opposite.  I don't see a liberal or conserative slant in CNN, but I do
see a bias towards "artificial" news which is to me more oppressive.  I
don't think right-wingers are criminally stupid, just cloying.

I enjoyed watching the news in Canada.  The TV announcers generally used
longer sentences and posited more complex concepts.  American TV is
written or no more than 5th grade comrehension.

An older female reporter in Boston tried a "smarter" news show and the
ratings were horrible.  Unfortunately we tend to get what we deserve.
Look inward.