/usr/local Debian Policy (was Re: Rationale)

on Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 06:30:30PM -0500, Paul Morgan (paulswm@earthlink.net) wrote:
> On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 15:27:20 -0500, Paul Morgan wrote:
>

> > Default debian install creates no usr/local directories, at least it never
> > has for me.
> >

> Sorry, I lied about this, I think it does create a set of empty
> directories.

Specifically, check Debian Policy.

   9.1.2  Site-specific programs

Directories may be created in /usr/local, via postinst prerem scripts,
as /usr/local may be remotely mounted and not locally modifiable.  No
files may be placed in /usr/local.  Files may not be deleted in
/usr/local.  Directories created by a package may be deleted on package
removal, if empty.

Also:

    If you do create a directory in `/usr/local' for local additions to
    a package, you should ensure that the settings in `/usr/local' take
    precedence over the equivalents in `/usr'.

...but existence of /usr/local files and subdirs cannot be assumed.

Ownership is root.staff 2775 per policy.

Peace.

    Windows Refund Day II:  fight for your right to refund
    http://www.windowsrefund.net/