Network interface card / Ethernet on IMB motherboard

Hi,

Learning as I go... I hope... I also tried editing /etc/network/interfaces
thus:

   auto lo eth0
   iface lo inet loopback
   iface eth0 inet dhcp

Then command

   # ifup -a
   ifup: interface lo already configured
   eth0: ERROR while getting interface flags: no such device

Darn. Because the Woody install did not find my onboard Ethernet and configure
it for me, and witnessing the above ERROR, I presume the task at hand is to
somehow get Woody to see this onboard Ethernet. How?

I can still go buy a $12 NIC tomorrow and probably will. But by what magic
does SuSE know this onboard IBM Ethernet while Debian does not?

Thanks!

Roger :-)