Re: Rationale

scripsit Paul E Condon:

> For someone who already understands what PATH is and has well formed
> ideas as to how he wants to work, it is easy to change. Debian, or any
> other OS, would have a hard time stopping you. It so easy to change,
> for the skilled user, that it is hard to argue that it should be set
> in a way that saves him a few dozen key strokes each time he does a
> new install, and also makes the first experience of even one newbie
> painful.

OK, I don't think we're realy disagreeing here.  I misunderstood you to
be arguing that the OS should _prevent_ me from being able to put my
/usr/local/bin or $HOME/bin at the front of my PATH.  So long as I (when
root) can set system defaults and I (when a normal user) can set my user
environment, go to it! ;)

--
Pax vobiscum; pax cum omnibus.

Thanasis Kinias