Re: lp print queue unclearable

On Sun, Nov 30, 2003 at 06:56:36PM -0500, Nori Heikkinen wrote:
| i haven't used my printer in a bit, but usually it's just fine.  but
| now, trying to print a letter, i find that some mysterious print queue
| appears to be full.  i /etc/init.d restart lpd several times, making
| sure there are no zombies; i lprm *; yet whenever i turn on the
                               ^^^^^^
Not going to work.  Things like '*' are shell metacharacters.  This
means the _shell_ is the one that handles expanding them into their
actual meaning.  Thus "lprm *" in a directory containing files foo and
bar is the same as typing "lprm foo bar".  Unless print jobs with ids
"foo" and "bar" exist, that doesn't do what you meant.  Instead, type
'lpstat' (or 'lpq') and see what job ids exist.  Then 'lprm' those
particular ids.  If you want to get fancy, then you could devise a
pipe from lpq to lprm which would remove all jobs automatically.

--
(E)ventually (M)allocs (A)ll (C)omputer (S)torage