Re: Rationale

> One good reason why that behaviour is evil is that I may want to install
> custom versions of utils without messing with /bin or /usr/bin.  That's
> what /usr/local is for, after all.

One of the things I thoroughly dislike about unices is that anybody and
his mother who thinks he is able to write a program, think they have
the god given right to bother a whole system with his fscked up s**t,
ie. 'adjust' the whole environment for some particular program. Some
advice: 1) Keep your own stuff together 2) write a general wrapper for
any straight called executable of your own making 3) don't bother other
programs, especially the os.

> BTW, if someone has compromised your system to the extent of being able
> to put a trojaned passwd in /usr/local/bin, he can put it in /usr/bin,
> too.

Never heard of 'layered defence'? It must be imposible to influence
higher authorized levels.

Sincerely,

Jan.

PS. Pfewh, it's nice to let of some steam, once in a while ;-)