Re: bind and dynamic ip

> > > I have a dynamic ip, and a server which runs bind. I have
> > > registered a domain name to that server, and I want to use a
> > > hostname for my dynamic ip. Can I do this? I thought it would be
> > > like, connecting to the remote dns server, and then update the
> > > zone file, and then reload bind. But how this is possible?
> > > Anybody knows a good howto about this?
> >
> > http://www.dyndns.org/
>
> Oh, the good old "if you don't know how to do it, then make someone
> else do it for you" answer.

Huh?  I pointed you to the website of (a) a service that provides DNS
service gratis to people with dynamic IP addresses, as long as you
don't mind having your domain be x.dyndns.org, and (b) a service that
provides nameserver services (for a fee) for almost any domain, with
default TTLs and automatic zone update capabilities specially designed
for people with dynamic IP addresses.  They have easy-to-use free
software client programs for lots of operating systems, so you can
keep the zone file up to date automatically.

I don't see anywhere in your original message that you've made any
effort to understand the DNS in general or my suggestion in
particular.  The software you're using is free (in many senses of the
word), and the people from whom you're making demands are volunteers.
Minimum effort is absolutely required; neither your incoherent initial
post nor followup talk of "but I want a how-to!" qualify.

Not that I think it will help, but:

I see that other people have given you other answers in this thread.
They are very generous; it is my opinion that you do not (yet) deserve
their courtesy.

> Thanks but I needed an answer with a howto, or some help on how to
> do this on my own. But I guess you could read that from my letter.

You are an idiot, but I guess I could read that from your letter.

*plonk*

Lucas
--
Lucas Bergman <lucas@bergmans.us>