Re: RFC: Create d-user-woody, d-user-sarge maillists, deactivate d-user

On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 02:28:52 -0800
"Hereon" <hereon1@fastmail.us> wrote:

> Request For Comment on:
>   Enhancing the Debian mailing lists by:
>   Creating debian-user-woody and debian-user-sarge mailing lists,
>   and deactivating debian-user.

And the people running mixed systems?
I'm running stable and sarge.

I see no reason to get rid of debian-user. At present it doesn't appear,
according to my perception at any rate, to be bursting at the seams.
It has the potential, as I have stated in an earlier posting, to grow
out of proportion as a result of Red Hats' policy change, and greater
debian acceptance on the part of the general public due to the new
debian installer and the anaconda facility. But as yet, that has not
occurred.

If it was to do so, I would recommend the formation of new mailing lists
based on the format of subject type, e.g., a debian-mail list dealing
with associated subject matter, e.g., spamassassin, and clamav, and/or a
debian-networking list, as these two factors provide the majority of the
load upon debian-user at present. But with 13000+ packages (I think it
is), I believe that there will still be a definite requirement for
debian-user and the flexible, general nature that it provides, caters
for, and why it was created in the first place. Debian-user is an
institution for a reason.

But I have been known to be wrong in the past, and I may well be wrong
now. Let's see what everybody else thinks.
Regards,

David.