Re: bind and dynamic ip

On Mon, 2003-12-01 at 02:06, LeVA wrote:
> Lucas Bergman írta:
> > LeVA <leva@az.isten.hu> writes:
> >

> >>I have a dynamic ip, and a server which runs bind. I have registered
> >>a domain name to that server, and I want to use a hostname for my
> >>dynamic ip. Can I do this? I thought it would be like, connecting to
> >>the remote dns server, and then update the zone file, and then
> >>reload bind. But how this is possible? Anybody knows a good howto
> >>about this?
> >

> >   http://www.dyndns.org/
> >
> > Lucas
> >

> Oh, the good old "if you don't know how to do it, then make someone else
> do it for you" answer. Thanks but I needed an answer with a howto, or
> some help on how to do this on my own. But I guess you could read that
> from my letter.

Well, if the DNS server you have access to has a static IP then it would
be possible. You'd have to register the domain name for your dynamic IP
with the nameserver listed as the DNS server on the static IP you have.
For example:

dynamic ip name: www.mysite.com
static ip DNS server name: dns.mystaticdns.com

You set the nameserver for www.mysite.com to dns.mystaticdns.com. Then
anytime your IP changes, you update dns.mystaticdns.com with that info
and reload the appropriate zone. (Restarting bind would be one way of
doing this.) Assuming that your static ip DNS server is running debian,
it would be "/etc/init.d/bind9 restart".

If, however, you don't have a nameserver with a static IP, then the only
real alternative is to go with something such as dyndns.org.

I don't know of any real howto's on the subject, but reading up on DNS
in general would be a good start, followed by reading up on bind in
particular. Good luck! :)

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837