Re: Can't play audio CDs

On Mon, Dec 01, 2003 at 12:47:33AM -0500, Michael D. Crawford wrote:
> I can't play audio CDs on my Mac 8500.  It's running debian for PowerPC,
> but I don't know if it's a problem with the powerpc port.
>
> I have /dev/cdrom linked to /dev/scd0 (first SCSI CD drive).  The
> permissions for /dev/scd0 are rw-rw-rw-.

note that to play a music cd, permissions of the device do not affect this.
you also do not mount a music cd to play it.

> I have esound installed.  I've tried this with and without esd actually
> running.  Some programs (like Mozilla :-/) won't work if esd is running.  I
> know that sound works because I can use mpg123 and xmms to play MP3s.
>
> I've tried workbone, grip and the Gnome CD player applet.

What error messages do they give? (list them)

> Workbone just prints its help message and exits.
>
> Grip will display the list of tracks and their times, but then the UI will
> become unresponsive.  I have to kill the process to make it quit.

This would suggest that the cd is recognized but there is someother
problem like the sound volume and or the sound module.

> The Gnome CD player applet will start showing elapsed time when I click the
> play button, but I don't get any sound.

what are you using for a sound mixer ( I use aumix which is a console
mixer on my i386)

what if any messages apprear in /var/log/messages referring to a) your
cdrom b) while using any apps (from above).

what soundcard driver?

HTH
-K