lp print queue unclearable

i haven't used my printer in a bit, but usually it's just fine.  but
now, trying to print a letter, i find that some mysterious print queue
appears to be full.  i /etc/init.d restart lpd several times, making
sure there are no zombies; i lprm *; yet whenever i turn on the
printer, it wants to print sheet after sheet of one line of garbage
per sheet.

can anyone throw me some clues as to what's going on, or how to clear
this mysterious queue?

tia,

</nori>

--