Hot to be a Guru

I think I am now past the newbie stage of a GNU/Linux
? Debian user.

I have been using a debian derivative Morphix
(http://morphix.sourceforge.net/), I have made a few
mini-mods, written some scripts and even used Linux in
a rack at work.  I can hack a few C, C++ programs and
knock out some bash and perl scripts. These days I
pick up my very thumbed Unix beginners book less and
less.

So what now, how do I make the step of next from being
a newbie to working towards Guru level.
* More, thicker, smaller font, expensive books.
* Outline tutorials
* Try kernel hacking, Linux from Scratch ?
* Just keep using/hacking it, you will learn whats so
much fun about ssh...
* Get work to pay for some courses, (Hotels included,
but no mini-bar, just foo-bar.)

I would be interested in how other people have made
the step passed newbie.

Nearest similar post:-
http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2001/debian-user-200106/msg04174.html

Regards,