broken apt-get/dpkg

Hi, I can't remove a package (powernowd) despite trying various forcing
options and --purge etc with apt-get and dpkg. The error output is below.
Could someone tell me what I should do in this situation please? The only
other thing I've tried is to rename the file mentioned in the output
(invoke-rc.d): similar messages result but without the reference to this
file (output pasted at the bottom of this email).

Thanks,

Dan

dd:/usr/sbin# apt-get remove powernowd
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  powernowd
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 197 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B of archives.
After unpacking 94.2kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] Y
(Reading database ... 47071 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing powernowd ...
Stopping powernowd: invoke-rc.d: initscript powernowd, action
"stop" failed.
dpkg: error processing powernowd (--remove):
 subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
Starting powernowd: powernowd: PowerNow Daemon v0.80, (c) 2003 John
Clemens
powernowd: Found 1 cpu.
Couldn't open file: No such file or directory
Couldn't open file: No such file or directory
Couldn't open file: No such file or directory
couldn't open govn's file for writing: No such file or directory
Couldn't get per-cpu data: Illegal seek
invoke-rc.d: initscript powernowd, action "start" failed.
dpkg: error while cleaning up:
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 2
 powernowd

dd:/usr/sbin# apt-get remove --purge powernowd
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  powernowd*
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 197 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B of archives.
After unpacking 94.2kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] Y
(Reading database ... 47071 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing powernowd ...
Stopping powernowd: dpkg: error processing powernowd (--purge):

dan davison	http://home.uchicago.edu/~davison/