Re: "Red Hat recommends Windows for consumers"

On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 02:02:26PM +0800, David Palmer. wrote:
> Linux people are running around saying 'this corporation's good, and
> that one is bad', when as far as I am concerned, corporations don't have
> personalities,-their lifeblood is profit. Period. Fullstop.
> If anybody thinks that corporate involvement with Linux has got anything
> to do with anything but a reduction in overhead,-nice stuff if you can
> afford to smoke it.

It seems to me the biggest risk is if the IHVs say "fuck it" and driver
support drives up.  The second risk is that the "linux is cool" factor
is all fucked up by these sheenanigans.  I know the Debian Developers
say they don't care if anybody uses it but them, but still.

Then again, I don't want it to get *too* popular.  I started collecting
mp3s off of usenet in '97, and it wasn't until everybody and their
12-year old brother started doing it that it became "an issue."  I like
my technologies medium-sized, a certain barrier is useful.

> H.P., slandered as it has been, appears to have been the only corporate
> body that has exhibited any real long term commitment, so far.

I have to say I was a Carley basher (she seemed California-phoney to me,
that was probably me projecting my own hangups), but she's delivered the
goods and made a buck.  She earned my respect.