Re: Testing URIs not working

Haines Brown(brownh@hartford-hwp.com) is reported to have said:
> Every step toward getting packages installation to work has been like
> pulling teeth. Please be patient.
>
> I want my /etc/apt/sources.list to support the installation of testing
> packages, and so I appended the line:
>
>   deb http://ftp.debian.org testing main
>
> But when I run "# aptitude update" with it, I get this error:
>
> W: Couldn't stat source package list http://ftp.debian.org
> testing/main Packages
> </var/lib/apt/lists/ftp.br.debian.org_debian_dists_testing_main_binary_i386_Packages> (2 No such file or directory)
>
> I tried these addresses as well:
> deb http://ftp.br.debian.org/debian/ testing main
> deb http://debian.teleglobe.net/non-US/ testing/non-US main
>
> I discovered that my adding a URI for testing packages to
> /etc/apt/sources.list and then running "# aptitude update" had no effect
> on the files listed in in /var/lib/apt/lists.
>
> Should it? That is, after running "#aptitude update", should a new
> line appear like the one that the Warning above reports not finding?
>
> This happened to me before when I needed to register the location of
> a local repository of deb files on my machine. For a long while, I
> got the same warning when I ran "#aptitude update", that it couldn't
> stat the URI. After a while, it mysteriously popped up in
> /var/lib/apt/lists ("_storage_debs_Packages") and my problem ceased.
>
> How do I force apt to register the testing address in
> /var/lib/apt/lists?

Have you read any of the below?

/usr/share/doc/newbiedoc/newbiedoc-html/apt-get-intro/index-apt-get-intro.html
/usr/share/doc/newbiedoc/newbiedoc-html/apt-get-intro/apt-and-install.html
/usr/share/doc/newbiedoc/newbiedoc-html/apt-get-intro/info.html
/usr/share/doc/newbiedoc/newbiedoc-html/apt-get-intro/intro.html
/usr/share/doc/newbiedoc/newbiedoc-html/apt-get-intro/more.html
/usr/share/doc/newbiedoc/newbiedoc-html/apt-get-intro/index.html
/usr/share/doc/newbiedoc/newbiedoc-ps/apt-get-intro.ps
/usr/share/doc/Debian/apt-howto/ch-apt-get.en.html

--
"... one of the main causes of the fall of the Roman Empire was that,
lacking zero, they had no way to indicate successful termination of